Wednesday, March 14, 2012

An Old Flame

Dear Reader,

Before I really get into this post, I must do something. A while ago I started talking about The Observation Deck cards. My wife thought that I should elaborate on that because I came off as very confusing. So, I will do that now.

The Observation Deck comes with 50 cards. Each of these cards has a word or phrase, otherwise known as observations. The creator of this nifty tool combined ideas from all different kinds of writers and came up with some of the best suggestion to help aspiring authors get started, or really to help anyone who is "blocked." One of the ways this can be done is by simply looking at the book that comes with the cards and finding the chapter you want to work on or feel like needs the most improvement. Another way, the way I do it, is to shuffle the cards and pick one at random. Each time, I leave the current card out, shuffle the deck, pick the card on top, and replace the former observation back in the deck. In doing it this way, I have created a much needed sacred space, started writing letters, and am now on my third (and still eerily spot on) card. I really hope that helps you understand, Reader. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

This brings me to this week's observation. After a shuffle and a draw, I found myself staring at a card that simply said "rhyme." I looked at the corresponding chapter, and the author suggested that if you are blocked you should just play around with rhyming. She states that this lets the muse know you are there, and it gets the juices flowing again. This seemed a little infantile to me, but I promised myself I would at least try it. Before I could, though, I had to return to class after my much needed spring break. One of the classes I had was Children's Literature. We started the semester off talking about a few fairytales and moved on to children's novels. We took a break, though, to spend a day talking about children's poetry. The poems were both funny and inspiring, and at the end of the class the professor offered extra credit to anyone who wanted to write a specific type of poem and bring it in. I did not need this enticement. As the class was happening, I found myself playing with words in a way I hadn't since high school. I started writing poetry again.

It felt like I was destined to get that card when I did. I remembered how much I actually loved writing poetry, and since yesterday I have come to a decision. I am going to compile my own book of children's poetry. Every now and then I will post a poem here for you all to read and give me feedback on. I would even encourage you to read them to any children you may know (I will put up disclaimers if I feel it is necessary).

I have not given up on novels. One thing I have always said is that I am going to dabble in everything as a writer. I plan to have books, both fiction and non-fiction, published. I plan to have collections of poetry. I even want to write television and movie scripts, even if only once. I like to think big.

Thank you for listening, Reader. I look forward to the day I can tell you that you should go out and buy something of mine. Until then,

Speak freely. Write candidly. Read endlessly.

Yours,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment