Thursday, March 22, 2012

Observation # 4

Dear Reader,

This week's observation took a few turns before I started writing this. As per usual, I shuffled the cards and picked the one on top: "explore the underside." Upon first glance, I thought about looking beneath the surface, literally. Maybe I was supposed to look under my desk or my bed. I secondly thought of the metaphorical underside, but in a narrow sense. Perhaps I was supposed to look for anything hidden. A hidden object, a hiding place, etc. That was the closest to what the author had in mind, but it was still small-thinking.

Ms. Epel started the chapter mentioning how we should "discover the dark side of your hero, the soft side of your villain." That broadened my idea a little bit more, but it was really the first sentence in the second paragraph that got me. "Every positive characteristic has its negative side." Instantly that reminded me of a television show my wife and I watch that we love. ABC's "Once Upon a Time" is an imaginative look at fairy tales. It interested me recently because of the fairy tales I studied in my Children's Literature class I'm taking. Then, the story became interesting on its own. It intertwines a bunch of well-known tales, and since most (if not all) fairy tales cannot be traced back to the original source and since there are so many different versions, the show is not being disruptive. Anyway, the reason that line reminded me of the show is that the character of Rumplestiltskin constantly reminds the people he gives help to that all magic comes at a price.

What this caused me to realize is that I work so much in the moment when I write that I rarely think about the domino effect. Which is kind of funny, because I usually have an end goal in mind. I now understand why most of my writing becomes so lengthy. I am willing to take my characters through anything for as long as it takes to reach my goal. Either that or I force them into an unfair situation and the writing turns to crap. I'm not an organized person (just ask my wife), and I thought that it wouldn't be a problem for my wanting to be a writer, especially after reading how Stephen King does his writing. He doesn't believe in outlines. He gets the ball rolling and lets the characters dictate the story to him, not the other way around. Of course, he is rarely ever presumptuous enough to decide what's going to happen ahead of time.

Where does this leave me? I now have to research the idea of outlining my writing, which is a difficult thing for me to do. I have to face the music and force myself to do it. I really think that it will help, as much as I hate to admit it. I don't know if you feel the same way, Reader. How do you write? Do you just let the characters do their thing, like Stephen King, or are you more of a J.K. Rowling type, who was very meticulous in her organization of the Harry Potter novels? I'd really like to hear what helps you best, especially if it's something other than the two things I mentioned. I always look forward to new ways of doing things.

Before I sign off, Reader, I would like to let you know about the new blog I started. The only subject that I am as passionate about as I am writing is teaching. I started a blog about education titled The Answer in the Back. You can get there either by clicking the title or the link on the left under "Favorite links." If you have any investment in education (and most people do), then please check it out. I've only just started it, but I hope to have a lot to say before long.

Until next time, Reader,

Write candidly. Speak freely. Read endlessly.

Yours,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment