Monday, February 27, 2012

Don't Judge A Book: A Call For Help

This is a very special post. Typically, in the Don't Judge A Book series, I would compare and contrast a few books and their film adaptations. However, this is about a series of books that are very dear to me, and the movie (and possibility of its sequels) that resulted. As to why I titled this post A Call For Help, I will address that at the end. For now, here is my review:

 











A few years ago, before we were married, my wife and I tried a little reading experiment. We decided we were going to introduce each other to books and read them together. I don't remember the first one she introduced to me, but I showed her Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Eventually, we evolved from individual books to book series. Once again, I chose from Stephen King. Together we read his Dark Tower series. She, however, changed my life forever by introducing me to an author named John Marsden and his wonderful Tomorrow series.

Tomorrow, When the War Began is about 7 teenagers in a town in Australia called Wirrawee who go on a camping trip before school starts back up. They decide to go during a big festival, wanting to take joy in each other's company rather than join in on the festivities. While camping in a remote, hidden area (they call it Hell), their country is invaded. Let me pause here to make something very clear (and I apologize in advance for the all-caps, but some people need to understand this): THIS IS NOT RED DAWN. Red Dawn is a Hollywood movie about Russians invading the US and a group of teenagers fighting for the country. Yes, it sounds similar, but Tomorrow, When the War Began has much more depth and deals with more issues than just kids at war. This book is a YA book, and anyone who knows anything about YA literature knows what kind of issues it deals with. Marsden finds a way to magnify these issues without it feeling forced. On top of all that, he does it in a female voice, something most men cannot do at all, let alone with the grace he uses. Anyway, these kids eventually must decide whether they want to stay safely put or to stand up and fight. The characters are fresh and funny when they need to be, while taking on the necessary responsibility of a war they did not want. Not many books can compare to the genius that is Tomorrow, When the War Began and its sequels.

After being in print for over a decade, the first book finally got made into a movie back in 2010. It was directed by Stuart Beattie (Who also directed Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl). As much as I like my books just the way they are, it would be stupid of me to not understand that sometimes changes are necessary. For instance, in the novels, Ellie Linton, the main character, is writing the story of what happened, while in the movie she is telling it to a camera so she can narrate. I understand. What really shocked me, though, was that this novel actually transferred quite well. The casting was spot on. The kids they got were phenomenal. What's more, this film was produced in Australia, giving it some heavy advantages. First, it wasn't dilluted by Hollywood. Second, the actors could really portray the characters very well. Third, and most important, being from the US, it was hard for me to visualize what Marsden described in the books. This isn't a fault of his. I just didn't understand Australia. The movie helped me to do so. The film was fresh and the writing was crisp (especially a metaphorical scene near the end that epitomized a transformation from childhood to adulthood). Overall, this is the best movie adaptation of a book I have ever witnessed, and I would definitely rate this movie: TO SEE.

This is a call for help. The major disadvantage of this movie being filmed in Austrailia is that it doesn't have much of a chance to make money. It was one of the highest grossing films of that year, but it wasn't enough to secure the sequel they were hoping for. Only recently has it come to the US, and that is where I need your help. I think these movies deserve to be made, and I believe that if you see them then you will agree. Starting tomorrow (Tuesday, February 28, 2012) Tomorrow, When the War Began will officially be available on DVD in the US. I think it may still be in some theaters as well. If you see a theater that is playing it, give it a chance. I ask you also to buy the DVD, and help support these amazing actors and this awesome series so we can see it continue. It deserved to be made, and with your help, that can happen. Tell your friends to buy the DVD also. Spread the word on Facebook and Twitter. Just don't forget to let everyone know that THIS IS NOT RED DAWN. Do your part to make sure that many people are able to see this amazing story. And while you're at it, give the books a chance. I think you'll thank me.

The DVD can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-When-Began-Rachel-Hurd-Wood/dp/B0073JF4ES/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1330330660&sr=1-1 while the first book can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-When-War-Began/dp/0439829100/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1330393391&sr=1-1-catcorr

1 comment:

  1. I really hope this series of movies can be saved! The books are awesome, and I'm so glad they impacted you as they did me. More amazing YA book-based movies will lead to more teen readers of YA books... and ultimately a larger market for those of us writing such books.

    ReplyDelete